Friday, May 16, 2014

Silence is golden

More boxing along Hwy 40 for the last two days. Ive taken to leaving Box radar up and running all the time as I apparently didn't capture all the boxes along the route using Atlasquest's trip search. I've found about 5 boxes just looking at box radar and pulling off at the closest exit. One benefit of driving alone is I don't lectured everytime I look at the GPS or my phone. The silence is golden.

Last night I pulled into Oklahoma city around 6pm and thought I would have time for just one more box. It was located in Stockyard city. things must have been slow because there wasn't much cache au vache in the air. What there was , was great restaurant, Cattlemen's café. A total throwback to the 1950's including awesome food. Of course I had a filet wrapped in bacon, what else would I be eating there? fish?

I didn't fly Venus for a couple of days because we were at high altitude and the she doesn't like the new harness, its too tight. So I have been letting her roam the truck unharnessed.The problem with her not flying is she gets restless in the truck and starts munching on things like my ear, the window controls etc. this entails making a quick stop and putting her back in the cage. Other wise our trip is pretty calm. Venus trying to talk more but mostly she just sings along if I have music playing. I never thought Id tire of XM satellite radio, but it seems Bloomberg is obsessed with fines for GM, Fox wants to go to war in Nigeria and medical shows make me want to pull in at every ER to check the symptoms they are talking about and I keep getting. Silence is golden sometime

I think I've found 54 letterboxes so far, less than I expected but still it keeps me busy for 12 hrs. every day. And as for sleeping arrangements. I've been able to sneak Venus into the room every night and keep her in the backpack, she goes right to sleep when its dark.

Not much to say about Little Rock, I've been here before in 2007 with Maggie and saw all the Clinton junk. The food was pretty awful tonight.  I've never eaten a pizza with absolutely no spices whatsoever. On the way into Little rock I drove up to the top of Petit Jean Mountain. It had gorgeous view of the Arkansas river and lots of camping sites.

Tomorrow I think Ill stretch and make it Nashville and stay with Ellen. She has a washing machine and I'm running low on clothes. Then its off down the Natchez Trace to Tupelo to see where the King was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment