Sunday, May 11, 2014

hellava way to begin a trip

I hope the rest of the trip is a bit less eventful than this morning. I found the first letterbox in Los Banos, the wind was blowing fiercely and I thought I'd let Venus have some exercise, bad idea. She took flight and harness lanyard broke. As she soared above me at about 50ft I could see the tail end of the harness hanging down.
Have you ever watched those medical shows where the guy's heart quits beating and the doctor stabs him with a dose of adrenalin? then you could picture me in an empty parking lot watching Venus circling about in a 25kt wind. Down she came, up she went, close to me, tried to grab her and she slipped away, not once , not twice , maybe four or five times. we raced across the parking lot together and finally she got tired and came in for one of her normal landings on my hand and chirped a few times, like ,wow that was fun ,can we do it again?
I intentionally bought two new harnesses in case her existing one started falling apart. Glad I had a backup or we would be looking for a bird store tonite.

Oh and you know how you feel after an adrenalin rush? wiped out, kinda had to rest for a few minutes to get my strength back. 
Boxing was fun and I ended up in a Barstow motel full of 1920's and 30s automobiles. Didn't even us Hotwire and got it for $39. Venus is searching the bedding for chimichi now.

1 comment:

  1. happy travels to you and Venus...what a way to start your adventures!

    ReplyDelete